[elk] Re: elk readline extension

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 08:05:53PM +0100, Sam Hocevar wrote:
>    You read minds! :) This was next on my TODO list: I adopted the
> editline (a BSD implementation of readline) Debian package 2 weeks ago
> with exactly this in mind.

ah, great.  yes, i used the debian package, too.  right, at read that
you are the maintainer of libeditline.

>    I don't know yet, I'll think about it. You may have a look at
> editline and see whether it might be used as well (needs a bit of tuning
> though):
>
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/editline/editline_1.12.orig.tar.gz

i did already.  my first attempt was a version for (plain) BSD
libedit.  but i got some strange results, and, apart from that, i
already was familiar with the readline api, so i wanted a working
result first and switched back to readline.

yes, i looked at libeditline, too.  i didn't used it because of the
missing rl_completion_entry_function.  but that was an option, too.
one has to modify the library according to readline's custom
completion function interface.  should not be too complicated.  but i
don't know about its user interface.  that's why i'd rather like to
see at least a possibility for using the original readline: all the
things like history-searching, editing etc., without having to learn
something new.  perhaps a ./configure-switch for (optionally) using
readline instead of BSD libedit or libeditline would the best deal.

all the best,

martin

--
martinrumori (martin@rumori.de)
/* home is where your home directory is */