[elk] Re: subversion tree, R5RS conformity

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004, martin rumori wrote:

> we noticed that reading of rational numbers is part of the R5RS, which
> is great.  unfortunetaly, there is no support for it in elk.  are
> there any plans regarding this issue?

   Yes, R5RS support is the plan for Elk 5.0. I plan to release 4.0
(which is only R4RS compliant -- notice how the version numbers
pleasantly match :D) when it has proved to be stable enough. The only
remaining issues with 4.0 are 64 bit issues that I hope to fix within a
few weeks because I have access to both Alpha and IA64 machines. I do
not get many bug reports lately, so though that is also because there
are not many Elk users left it might be a good reason to release 4.0
final.

   One major thing to do before releasing 4.0 is to update the
documentation. Not many things have changed, but for instance dump
support was removed.

> i could integrate our "old" patch with the new elk and send you a
> patch, if there is nothing else planned.  are there more "serious"
> issues when adding ratnum support (like exact/inexact stuff etc.)
> that i am overlooking?

   I don't know. There are certainly issues that won't be noticed right
now, but your patch would be very welcome. I will not include it in
4.0 because it might be too big a change, but I will create a 4.99.*
development series (which will lead to 5.0) and apply your patch to that
branch.

Regards,
--
Sam.